“Former Missouri running back Derrick Washington, who was convicted of sexually assaulting a former tutor in 2011 and is a registered sexual offender, will be given a workout with the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday.”
Jeffrey Flanagan, Foxsportskansascity.com
GH: I had great hopes for Washington’s career when I watched him play at Ray-Pec High School. I thought he was going to be a great one. Read on.

“According to a report in the Columbia (Mo.) Daily Tribune about Washington’s trial, his former tutor, a 24-year-old University of Missouri graduate at the time, told the jury she was asleep June 19, 2010, in her apartment after a night of drinking when she was awoken by a man sexually touching her in her bed. The newspaper also reported that she said Washington shared a ‘friends with benefits’ relationship with her roommate and was known to visit the apartment during the early morning.”
Jeffrey Flanagan, Foxsportskansascity.com
GH: That proved to be one very costly error in judgment for Washington. He was soon kicked off Mizzou’s team and out of school.

“But Derrick has been very forthcoming about what has happened. He has always maintained his innocence. He has been willing to talk about everything about his past with teams who are interested.”
Matt Marino, Washington’s agent, Foxsportskansascity.com
GH: Derrick and his family believe he was wronged in this ordeal. I have personally heard from his mother and her belief that her son is innocent. I let her know I disagreed. What any of us believe now is irrelevant. Washington was convicted, sentenced and served his time. He appears to be attempting to move on.

“He’s a good kid who just messed up, he’s been a model kid [here at Tuskegee]. I don’t bring bad kids into any program. My reputation as a coach goes well past this place and no one has ever questioned the kids I bring in. Derrick’s a good kid. He spent 120 days in prison. That changes a person.”
Willie Slater, head football coach at Tuskegee, where Washington played his senior season and was a finalist for the Harlon Hill Award [the DII Heisman], Foxsportskansascity.com
GH: The odds of Washington making the Chiefs or any NFL roster are long. But getting a second chance in life at his age is one I hope he takes advantage of and prospers.

“I don’t think he’s back at Mizzou next year.”
Soren Petro, on Phil Pressey’s pending decision to enter the NBA draft or return to Mizzou for his senior season, 810 AM
GH: The overwhelming info I can gather seems to point to Pressey not returning to MU. I hope that information is wrong. Flip looks to me to be in need of another year of college – and not just to hone his basketball acumen.

“I personally would go back and be a finished product.”
Doug Gottlieb, responding to Petro’s above comment on Pressey, 810 AM

“Let me finish! You’ve got a couple of more hours to rant and rave about this. I have limited time!”
Doug Gottlieb, after Soren Petro repeatedly cut in on and talked over his comments to disagree with Gottlieb’s takes on Phil Pressey returning to MU or turning pro and comparing Pressey’s game to Trey Burke’s, 810 AM
GH: I listened to this give and take between Petro and Gottlieb Tuesday afternoon and I almost applauded when Doug yelled at Petro for cutting him off and verbally bullying him. Gottlieb expressed exactly what I was thinking at the time – I listen to the Gottlieb segment on The Program to hear Gottlieb’s takes, not Petro’s. Sure, I want petro to challenge Gottlieb in his interview but Petro seems to think his view is so important that he needs to shout down his guest. Newsflash to Petro – you ain’t all that – no matter what your fan boys are telling you.

“I am transferring to another school and will be getting released [Wednesday]. Love this team no matter what!!! I learned a lot here!!”
Rio Adams, @WarLordRio, KU reserve freshman guard, Twitter
GH: Everyone saw this coming and it should not reflect poorly on Kansas or Adams. I think college athletes should have as much freedom to change schools as their coaches. It is up to the players’ parents to provide direction as to when it is smart to go or stay. I think that is one reason college coaches like recruiting underprivileged kids from one-parent families. Those kids have fewer options when it comes to bolting.

“He probably got the message that there won’t be a lot of playing time. He may want to go somewhere else.”
Jack Harry, on Adams decision to leave KU, KSHB TV 41
GH: Rio Adams has some game. If Harry was attempting to paint him as not good enough to play at Kansas, he is simply wrong. Painting athletes who transfer as the problem is how Mike Rice and Rutgers happens.

“In case you followed it during the tournament, [Rio Adams] was the one that did the cereal eating after the Iowa State loss. So, [that] may be one of the ways you know the guy.”
Christa Dubill, news anchor, KSHB TV 41
GH: Jack Harry and Dubill’s co-anchor, Mark Clegg, uncomfortably stared at Dubill and then politely moved on. Christa was a bit out of her comfort zone with this one but I found her contributions at least as accurate and entertaining as Mad Jack’s.

“Former Kansas State guard Wally Judge, now a junior at Rutgers, told ESPN that [Mike] Rice never put hands on him and that practices were harder at K-State.”
Blair Kerkhoff, Kansas City Star
GH: I can only imagine a videotape of Frank Martin’s practices after seeing his disgraceful antics in front of a full house and network television cameras. Bozos like Rice and Martin need to be sent out of education and into an occupation where their coworkers can kick their ass if they want to play bully.

“I’m not going to watch it. I very rarely watch the last game. I’ve probably only watched a couple of them, unless it ended in a win. I won’t watch this one. I’ve replayed it in my head, like I’m sure all the players have of what happened and what went wrong.”
Bill Self, on not wanting to view the season-ending loss to Michigan, Lawrence Journal-World
GH: In any other business [most anyway], examining your mistakes and learning from your losses is how you prevent repeating them. I think Self is wrong in not wanting to examine where he might have improved his team’s chances to win. Sometimes you have to shelve your ego to get better.

“I’m going to tell you, I don’t think anybody wants to see the behind the scenes of the practices at their [college] program. … I don’t think anybody wants to see the cow getting hit in the melon for their marbleized steak.”
Soren Petro, on the Mike Rice firing at Rutgers, 810 AM
GH: Are most coaches rougher on their players than a chemistry teacher is on his class? Yes. But I don’t believe most of these coaches are firing basketballs off their players’ noggins or calling them MF’ers. Those who are need to be exposed and banned from the game.

“If she’s the best on the board, we’ll take her. If we have the 60th pick and she’s on the board, we still might take her. I’ve thought about it already. Would I do it? And right now, I’d lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it.”
Mark Cuban, on drafting Baylor’s Brittney Griner, Dallas Morning News
GH: No way Dallas or any NBA team drafts Griner. No way.

“[Yu] Darvish said he realized he had a perfect game going around the fifth inning because none of his teammates were sitting by him in the dugout. That was also about the same time the Astros realized they were in trouble too as Houston players started donning rally caps in a game that was 1-0 at the time.”
Anthony Andro, after the Rangers’ pitcher gave up a ground-ball single up the middle with two out in the ninth, FoxSports.com
GH: Rally caps in the fifth? Now that is respect!

[email protected] and Twitter / greghall24

This entry was posted in Greg Hall OTC and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to OTC: Derrick Washington Tryout W/ Chiefs / Gottlieb Tells Petro To Shut It / Coaches Gone Wild

1. Jeff Gelski says:

How can practices for basketball and football at state-funded colleges be closed to the public? Are not tax dollars paying for it? Should not the public be allowed to see what happens with their tax dollars?

• Gavin says:

No. Tax dollars are not paying for it. Athletic corporations are actually private and are private donations. They may be tax deductible, but they aren’t tax dollars. Bill Self’s check, for example, is from Kansas Athletics or the University of Kansas Athletic Department or some corporation or something. Not from “The State of Kansas.” And even if it was, to stretch your point to its logical conclusion, by your reasoning, shouldn’t you get to go in to the Missouri or Kansas governor’s mansions and watch Jay Nixon or Sam Brownback take a dump?

• chuck says:

There is an outside, shot in the dark possibility that, that analogy was a stretch.

• Gavin says:

Well, yes. Which is why I said “to stretch your point to its logical conclusion.” Because I was, you know, stretching the point.

The larger point, though, is that no tax dollars are spent to fund athletics programs. Also, I suppose to clarify, lots and lots of tax dollars are spent on things that we don’t automatically have the right to know about. Universities spend lots of tax dollars working on cures for diseases and medical device patents, but we don’t get to go into their labs and play with infected chimps, either. Some of them do work with weapons systems, but no matter how cool it might be, we don’t get to go play with advanced laser systems.

• Guy Who Says What Others Think says:

It never ceases to amaze me how some sports fans are clueless about how athletics are funded at the major college level. No, swifty. Tax dollars are NOT spent. The A.D. is a self sustaining entity.

2. Jeff Gelski says:

Ann Meyers, who later married Don Drysdale, was drafted by an NBA team — http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1131945-2012-nba-draft-why-baylors-brittney-griner-must-declare

3. Ptolemy says:

There are NSFW twitter observations by some NBA “fans” on Griner’s prospects in the NBA…

4. donkeypunch says:

Jeff Gelski sed:

donkeypunch sez: So in your world, you also should be able to sit in during President Barry’s meetings, since, you know, you pay his salary

5. JG says:

Make the front end of a 1-and-1. Examination over.

GH, I thought for sure you would have a quote from BTL when Clinkscale and KK were talking about MLB salaries. When KK said he didn’t want to talk about it anymore, Clink told him, “Of course you don’t. I have an opinion that happens to be different than yours!” It was classic.

Jim, Missed that — but I am glad you caught it and gave Danny some props here for standing up to KK.

• old lady kietzman says:

oh greggy why are so mean to my little boy all the time? what has ever done to you or anyone in this town? he is a saint and my little kevie is all heart.

mommy kietzman

GH: “…examining your mistakes and learning from your losses is how you prevent repeating them. I think Self is wrong in not wanting to examine where he might have improved his team’s chances to win. Sometimes you have to shelve your ego to get better.”

Re-watching losses might be good in most cases, but Self’s team dominated Michigan for 37 minutes. I’ll bet every late night/early morning of the off-season Self will wonder if he shoulda pulled Elijah out late and he’ll torture himself by wondering if how he shoulda handled the final 12 seconds of regulation to prevent Burke’s bomb. Why re-live the nightmare?

I wonder if Bill Belichek has ever re-watched the play where Eli Manning avoids sacks and hits David Tyree for a critical first-down in the Giants winning drive, or if Whitey Herzog ever asked for a copy of the final inning of the 1976 Playoffs to re-watch Chris Chambliss’ walk-off home run off Mark Littell?

8. john doe says:

The Rutgers issue is more about not winning than any supposed mistreatment of players.
    If they were winning 20 games a year, he would still have a job.

• Kyle Rohde says:

Mark Mangino disagrees with you, as does Mike Leach.

• johnny wadd says:

Mangino was trash his last two years.

Leach had his ego and ESPN fighting against him

• Lou Brown says:

Mangino’s last season was trash, but started out 5-0 before the allegations against him were building. The team went 0-7 after it was clear that Mangino was going to be axed. The previous season’s team went 8-5, beat Missouri and won the Insight Bowl- not trash.

9. As to Griner and the possibility of Cuban drafting her, I would never say never. I believe most NBA second round draft choices never make their team anyway. I could see Cuban selecting Griner just for the publicity and attention. Dude likes that stuff.

• Gavin says:

Exactly. Especially since she went to school in Texas. The real question is “would she make the team?” and the answer of course is “no, she would not.”

• chuck says:

However, in an ever increasing “Equal Outcome” world, all teams will, at some point be coed and in fact be ideology based vis a vis geographical. Far more politically correct you see.

So, the Title Nine Mustangs, would take Griner in the beginning of the 2nd round (On odd years, a male must be drafted first, on even years a female, I am thinking in odd terms here.).

• chuck says:

This from Wiki on Mustangs.

“In 1971, the United States Congress recognized Mustangs as “living symbols of the historic and pioneer spirit of the West, which continue to contribute to the diversity of life forms within the Nation and enrich the lives of the American people.”

Notice the word diversity in there?

Big Ups to the Brave New World!

10. Kyle Rohde says:

I think Rio Adams is talented enough to play for KU next year, but he’s also got to compete for PT with Tharpe, Andrew White, Connor Frankamp, Wayne Selden, Brannen Greene and others. He may lack the confidence that he can play over those guys and doesn’t want to do like Jeremy Case and Travis Releford did – redshirt to get better and play a 5th year.

• Gavin says:

Absolutely. Rio Adams had “redshirt” written all over him but he would never admit to it. He has been tweeting that on any other team he would be playing tons of minutes and that this wasn’t speculation but that it was a “FACT!” so you know he wasn’t going to go for a redshirt.

“Painting athletes who transfer as the problem is how Mike Rice and Rutgers happens.”

What?!

GH: “Gottlieb expressed exactly what I was thinking at the time – I listen to the Gottlieb segment on The Program to hear Gottlieb’s takes, not Petro’s. Sure, I want petro to challenge Gottlieb in his interview but Petro seems to think his view is so important that he needs to shout down his guest. Newsflash to Petro – you ain’t all that – no matter what your fan boys are telling you.”

Great post and find Greg. Props to Mr. Gottlieb for smacking down Petro. It is one of the things that has turned me off of listening to Petro. I realize Soren has no life other than sports, but when he tries to out-expert his expert and gets rude, that gets on my last nerve. He does that with Glauber as well. If you are bringing national guys on, let let them say their piece, then add your criticism and opinion. I swear Petro thinks we listeners should be “privileged” to hear his views, arguments, and hear him eat lunch, which is ridiculous as well.

Final point: What is it about 810 that every show (including BP) has people constantly talking over each other on the microphone. Do they get paid by the minute? Or by the word.

• Tim says:

Let’s hope Pisstro gets to interview Ray Lewis next fall when Ray makes comments on how the Chiefs are doing at that time.

13. Tom says:

Agree 100 percent on Petro. I like listening to his show most of the time, but his exchange with Gottlieb came off like an attorney cross-examining a witness … Same with Jason Stark. Every question started off with “Wouldn’t you agree…?” And if they dared not agree, he cut them off.

14. chuck says:

Interpreting the identity of the Devil in the Devil’s Advocate with regard to any controversy is a far less onerous task these days for we plebes gathering pearls, sitting at the feet of MSM Oracles and extemporaneous, self appointed wallahs.

Lets knee the jerk for a change and look at the other side of this issue, writ a bit larger for those of us not blown by every wind and wet by every rain.

That ankle breaking jump off of the bandwagon, or in this case, the tumbrel carrying Mike Rice to his execution, by Rutgers, the aforementioned MSM, his former friends, et al, is precipitated on and flourishes within a new American milieu that seeks overtly and covertly the final destruction of an American patriarchy, now moribund and necrotic, riddled through with seeds of a newer, more egalitarian intiative.

That intitative moves forward with celerity and unquestioning adherents over the individual and societal failures that assualt us every day in that same Main Stream Media. Many of the kids on that court and on every playing field in every school in America, from 8 to 20 years old, think they know it all and there is no one to tell them any different.

Lacking any male supervision in a carte blanche life, the less than finished product is not just a project for any coach, it is a borderline sisyphean crucible, that will determine, not only the coach’s future, but indeed, his charges.

Far more serious these days that in those halcyon “Hoosiers” days of old, the consequences of failure for the coach is opprobrium, disgrace and loss of income. His failure will reflect far more seriously the outcome of his players.

On a show called “Feherty” (You will love this guy.), he (Feherty) interviewed Bobby Knight. Knight was such a prick. But his kids made good grades, graduated and in the end, pretty much loved the guy.

Kinda like your dad.

You wanna friend? Get a dog. No one wants to see the sausage getting made, they just want their pizza to be perfect.

The de nutting of America continues unabated to the strains of Kumbaya.

Me, I will take a few more Spartans and few less Athenians. It is ugly, but the outcome is better in my opinion.

• Gavin says:

Look, I’m all for showing off rhetorical flourishes and everything, but “sisyphean crucible”? A mixed metaphor is bad enough, but a tortured-mixed-classical-Arthur Miller-metaphor/reference? Don’t you think this is a bit excessive for the Carolina League?

• chuck says:

Scatalogical references to our elected officials with a reply meant in good humor draws the word “tortured” into play?

Sheesh…

Mixed metaphors are like mixed drinks, one or two is fine and you can still drive.

I will bust loose a treatise on Postcolonial Feminism if ya don’t back off!!

• Gavin says:

You have to admit, there is something funny about the idea of a taxpayer invoking the right to watch a governor defecate simply by virtue of being a taxpayer. And your reply was taken in the humor intended. I was just trying to wrap my head around the many layers of reference involved in “sisyphean crucible.” As I said, there’s the classical Greek, there is Arthur Miller, there’s the concept of crime/punishment/discipline, there’s the idea of distillation to one’s essence, torture and/or trial by fire, never ending tasks as punishment, really big rocks, witchcraft, colonial Massachusetts, and god knows what else. And I have no idea how many of those you intended.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around everything possible in that two-word phrase.

• chuck says:

My mixed metaphors are always like the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon.

A rhetorical flechette mine with myriad possibilities.

Or, I just reached too far on that one.

BTW, I would like to dedicate this mixed metaphor to Persephone.

15. Richard Cranium says:

Many times after reading these “evalutations” of contact sport coaches, I come to find that Greg’s cross country background doesn’t really stand up to the realities of Football/Basketball actions.

RC, I ran my first marathon at the age of 55. I grew up with 9 brothers in a Catholic family that thrived on competition and contact. Even my five sisters could rattle your teeth. My coaches were almost all of this same ball-busting, soul-shrinking ilk. I have earned my opinions honestly.

16. Jimmy Cliff says:

I have always agreed with Chuck in the past after looking up all those words. I think he thinks that coaches need to be tough because of no fathers. I agree. I think I have earned a pass. i think it is some one elses turn to look them up. +1

17. Buford T Justice says:

Soren Petro is a Fat Slob!

18. Kyle says:

Royals new slogan: same shit, different year.

19. The Smartman says:

I’m all for watching my elected officials dropping a deuce. You can learn a lot about a man by the way he shits as well as the color, texture and the aroma. The eyes may be the window to the soul but a man’s shit is the window to his guts. I’m betting Kim Jong Un shits like a rabbit. Hillary Clinton, I’m betting she drops bombs that splash and wet her cooter.

Attention all Muslims Soren Petro has declared that Allah is a Chiefs fan. If that doesn’t call for a fatwa I don’t know what does. Assamualaikum!

Saw Petro out in public recently. Dude has added a puss gut to his muffin top.

Women in the NBA? Will be if Flip gets drafted.

The NCAA just needs to make a new rule that if a coach touches you in a way meant to harm and not instruct, or throws things at you with intent to harm you can beat the shit out of them with no institutional or legal repercussions. Once some cunt like Mike Rice gets jacked and they show pictures of him in ICU with a feeding tube the abuse will stop.

20. E. Jack Hewlett says:

Good take on Petro. It’s amazing that its taken this long for Gottlieb to go off on him. Doug has shown an admirable amount of patience with Petro’s childishly argumentative rudeness in the past. There have been times when Petro has basically ruined the entire segment with his insistence on trying to out-expert Doug, only to show that he is hopelessly out of his league.